[TowerTalk] Winds

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Tue May 16 14:24:19 EDT 2017

Once you get above tree-line on a hilltop it is a completely different ballgame.  Average tree height at my qth is about 50 – 60’.  On a heavy wind day there are some good gusts near the ground with occasional rattling of the windows and screens.  At the 50’-60’ foot tree-line, the trees sway and rock quite a bit, but the top branches of the bigger trees (80’-90”) begin to approach a 45 degree angle.  On the tower, anything above tree-line becomes a “wind-sail”.

Many years ago, a heavy pull rope got snagged in the reflector of a yagi at the 120’ level and it hung vertically from there for years.  When we had 20 – 30 mph winds near the ground, the rope would fly out and occasionally almost approach horizontal, like a flag.  Attempting to get that pull rope near horizontal at the ground was almost impossible unless someone held the other end.

The other issue above tree-line is that there is nothing to protect you from wind-blown debris.  After hurricane Sandy I found a 20’ crown of a tree embedded at the 80’ level in my 130’ Rohn tower.  The 110+ mph hurricane gusts tore off the top of the tree and blew it ~70’ into my tower where it remained for five months until removed by a climber!

Bob  KQ2M