[TowerTalk] Winds

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed May 17 03:09:57 EDT 2017

It's more than being above the trees. It is true for rolling , grassy hills.
Here in the flat-lands of Michigan's Saginaw Valley where the tallest
buildings are at least 2 miles from the airport and not aligned with any
runway, when landing on a windy day, you will find that "generally" the
winds begin to diminish at 200-300 feet. More so the lower you get. At
80 feet or so, the winds may become erratic in both direction and speed
due to those ground based objects.
In over 20 years of flying I found the airport experience with winds to
be pretty much the same at hundreds of airports.

Climbing my 100 ft 45G was a great way to experience the change in wind
velocity.
My yard is 200 X 200' It is bounded by a row of homes on the S with
woods on the W and N. with the tower about 100 feet from the woods on
the N & W. Probably about 150 to 175 from the homes on the S.  East is
open land except for the northern part of the front yard.
The wind is pretty much constant up to 30 feet. It then increases
rapidly so it becomes fairly constant from 50 feet on up.
The full velocity seems to drop from the tops of the trees which is 80
feet, give or take, down to about 50 feet just a 100 feet from the tree
line.

This is just one location, but the experience applies to most locations
in a relative sense.

73 Roger (K8RI)