[TowerTalk] trencher

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Wed Nov 1 19:39:20 EDT 2017

When I converted from suspended feedlines to buried, I decided to place
them below the frostline, which is around 36" in these parts. I only had
a total of around 700' to trench, but needed to get multiple 4" conduits
& 1-5/8" feedlines below the frostline, because of the multiple towers
hanging off my trunkline.

Decided that a 6"W x 48"D trench would suit my needs.

First tried a walk-behind 48"er, which my clay gravel mix absolutely
laughed at. I calculated that it would have taken between 1000-9575
rental hours to do it with that machine. It would have been fine dealing
with black dirt or sandy dirt, but you need serious weight to pull rocks
out of the ground.

Tried a much heavier *riding* 6" trencher, and I thought - YES. 5 or 6
hours later, the main trench and side branches were done. Of course
there was then the little task of installing the conduits & hardline. Oh
and then pushing the "dirt" back in. You'll be thankful that you rented
a little something with a front push blade or front bucket for that.

The point being that you should have a serious machine for 1400' of trench.

-Steve K8LX