[TowerTalk] Wind survival + load ratings... vs,

Kurt Andress andresskurt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 01:04:20 EDT 2017

Wes, you inquired.....

That said, I was involved in helping a friend install a Steppir DB42 on his
foldover tower.? From what I saw, it would be impossible to account for all of
the stuff mounted on this antenna, using Leeson's spreadsheets.? My goodness,
the aerodynamic drag from the cables, plates, connectors, boxes, clamps, support
trusses and the tilt plate, over and above the boom and elements, was
frightening to me.

I don't recall reading about these antennas in this thread.? Has anyone tried to
calculate wind survival for these (not that I would ever want to buy one).

Wes? N7WS

Wes, I was retained to help Stepp-Ir design their first new big antennas years ago....
I was retained to analyze all of their yagis early this year by Mike Mertel, to give them all the correct antenna figures anyone needs.
I did that and sent them very complete detailed datasheets for each of their antennas, with more information than anyone would have ever known to ask for.
They own the results of my work, just ask them for it!
73, Kurt, K7NV