[TowerTalk] Mot R36 related to NUMBER of installed ground rods

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 3 15:21:34 EDT 2017

On 11/3/17 11:22 AM, Clay Autery wrote:
> Mmmmm.... the speed of light is REALLY REALLY REALLY fast...  The speed
> of current through big copper is still REALLY fast...  50 feet? Nah....
> Rise time and duration for WHICH part of the strike event? It's not a
> single pulse...

the speed is slower than you think.. one way is to think of it as a wire
immersed in a dielectric, for which the speed will be sqrt(epsilon).. if
you use the ham favorite of 5/13 soil, sqrt(13) is 3.6 so the
propagation speed will be 27% of speed of light, or about 3.6 ns/ft

Another way is to consider it as a transmission line with a inductance
of about 1 microhenry/m, and a capacitance to ground of 10 pF/m (1cm
wire 10 cm above the soil) (not a whole lot different than RG-213, which
is, I think 13pF/meter)

> And the 2x rod spacing is a guide...  rod spacing depends on the soil
> conditions...  And nothing says you can't space them closer... IN FACT,
> there are conditions under where it is likely advisable to do so...

I don't think the rod spacing depends on soil properties *if* the soil
is uniform resistivity (on a scale comparable to the rod size.. whether
it's sand, 3" rocks, or 12" rocks doesn't matter). It's a geometry thing
and independent of the soil resistivity.

Table 13 in IEEE 141 gives the formulas, and rho (soil resistivity) is a
single term.

Now, if you had a big insulating wall, then driving a rod on each side
might be a good idea.