[TowerTalk] Ground wire between tower and ground stakes

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Nov 15 12:45:56 EST 2017

On 11/14/2017 3:26 PM, Chris Hoelzle wrote:
> I had been planning on going with Solid AWG 2, but then I saw some pictures
> of folks using stranded.

The simple facts are that 1) bigger will carry more current before it
melts, 2) bigger is harder to work with, 3) stranded makes bigger easier
to work with, 4) stranded does corrode faster when exposed to air or
water, 5) insulation prevents that exposure except at connection points.
Many years ago I came into a big roll of insulated #4 stranded, and
that's what I'm using. All of life is a compromise. Good engineering is
making the best compromise for any given application. That's also true
of life.

Many things are done the way they are in broadcasting and commercial
radio because of 1) tradition and 2) they have the labor/budgets to do
it better. 120 radial systems for AM broadcast stations are an example
of both. So is #2 solid for cell sites.

73, Jim K9YC