[TowerTalk] Relay for sloper element

Bryan Swadener bswadener at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 24 15:06:40 EST 2017

Hi Gene,

On 80m, instead of changing the length, I increased the effective diameter by using a cage design. The free design program on smeter.net (http://www.smeter.net/antennas/wire-cage-dipole.php) says it looks like a 7.7" diameter conductor. My 2:1 VSWR bandwidth is supposed to be 318 kHz but, I'm seeing over 500 kHz. A sloper would work about the same.

Since the apex of my inverted vee is at 70' and I have about 85' of coax feeding it, I thought it worth trying to feed it as a vertical against a radial field on 160m. The ATU in my TS-850SAT is able to tune into it. I use a Jennings RJ1-series SPDT vacuum relay in a plastic box to do the switching. I use a "bias tee" to feed 13.8V from the shack power supply via the coax to the relay's 12VDC coil.

Related images and more info on my Flickr page: http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-80m-160m

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC