[TowerTalk] Relay for sloper element

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Nov 27 15:00:40 EST 2017

> If I use a DPDT center-off switch on the DC supply in the shack and
> steering diodes in the relay box at the tower top, I can use two
> relays to short out part or all of the loading coil at the feedpoint.
> That way I'd end up with 60M (coil shorted), 75 M (partial coil) and
> 80 M (full coil) on the same wire.
I'm not so sure you will find a single 50 Ohm point over a 1.6:1
frequency range (3.5 - 5.5 MHz).  The so called "half sloper" works
by finding a point roughly an electrical quarter wave from the top
of the tower ... the frequency range 3.5 - 3.9 MHz is not so bad
that a compromise point can't be found.  However, looking to extend
the frequency significantly higher really means the "tap" (attachment)
point should be roughly 1/3 closer to the electrical top of the tower.

Even if one could find X=0 for all three frequencies, the R will vary
considerably and may make matching difficult.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV