[TowerTalk] Fan dipole construction methods

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 1 09:56:41 EDT 2017

On 10/1/17 4:21 AM, N1BUG wrote:
> I've been reading the fan dipole discussion with much interest. I have
> used fan dipoles for many years, as inverted V, common center point with
> the ends tied off separately. The biggest one (a club project) had 6
> wires for 160/80/40/20/15/10. It worked OK but that was a lot of rope!
> Currently I have individual inverted V antennas for each of several
> bands all supported from various points on one tower. I would like to
> reduce the number or ropes tied off everywhere.
>
> If you have successfully constructed and used a fan dipole where one or
> more more wires hang from the first and each end requires only a single
> support rope I would like to see details of the construction. I have
> made a few attempts and seen some others but they all either suffered
> from the lower wires sagging, constantly breaking spreaders or both.

Isn't this much like the Alpha-Delta  series of antennas - multiband
dipoles with parallel wires separated by a few inches.  Sure, there's a
lot of interaction when tuning it, but you only have to do that once to
get it close.

https://www.alphadeltacom.com/pg1.html

Then, a tuner at the shack can take out the last little bit of error
(it's not like you're trying to match a 80m dipole on 40m.. it's more
like you're trying to match a 39.5m dipole on 40m)