[TowerTalk] CM Question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Oct 9 02:05:57 EDT 2017

On 10/8/2017 4:05 PM, Carol Richards wrote:
> I am finally getting to clean out my shed with 50+ years of
> accumulated stuff. To my surprise, I found new in the box, 8,  2.4
> inch cores that I must have purchased from Amidon, many years ago.
> According to the spec sheet that was included, they are 43-mix.
> Furthermore, there was a picture with instructions to wind 3 1/2 turns
> of RG 213 coax through 2 binocular stacks of 4 cores.
>

> What is the prevailing wisdom? Should I do it that way or what?

Hi Carol,

My take on it is in k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

What you describe would be a pretty effective common mode choke for a
tri-bander, or other antenna covering 14-28 MHz. It would be
considerably less effective at lower or higher frequencies. And for use
below 5 MHz, #31 material is superior.

73, Jim K9YC