[TowerTalk] Concrete base - tower

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri Oct 13 09:57:54 EDT 2017

Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 09:02:35 -0400
From: Steve Maki <lists at oakcom.org>
To: towertalk <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete base - tower

< I'm trying to envision a situation where replacing dirt
<with concrete causes an issue....

<-Steve K8LX

##  It doesnt.   Concrete is heavier than dirt.    And if dirt is used, it has
to be pounded down with the machine.
You put dirt in 4-6 inches at a time,  called lifts. Then pound it down.
If you dont pound it down, then  the dirt ends up with all sorts of air pockets.
I call that disturbed soil, which is exactly what you dont want.

##  For folks pouring concrete, dont forget to use a vibrator on the concrete.
That eliminates the air pockets and voids.   But it has to be done quickly, and fast.
Dont over vibrate it, or rake it across too slow.   Otherwise the aggregate,  typ
.375 rocks, that are in the mix of sand + concrete powder + water, will  migrate
lower down, towards the bottom.

Jim   VE7RF