[TowerTalk] Tower base over ROCK (shale) experience??

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Fri Oct 13 12:19:23 EDT 2017

Answers interspersed below in Blue...

From: bear
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2017 11:22 AM
To: Bob Shohet, KQ2M ; towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base over ROCK (shale) experience??

Whoa... a lot of information there, and many questions.
Please keep in mind I am on the lower end of the learning curve, so some
of what I say or ask
may be total "newbie".

- Does your "base" merely rest on the bare rock??
YES!  And I did not use the special additive that bonds the concrete to the bare rock.
My thought was that a much smaller base would work, especially if the
rock was drilled and fitted
with reybar to some depth, with the concrete (reinforced) over that...

It might, but I am just telling you my reasoning, what I did in 1998 and what the results are 19 years later.

- Stresses in the base. My limited understanding says that the majority
of force by a large margin is vertical
(downward) force, other forces being very limited in a guyed tower. So a
strong concrete base of modest size directly
to rock ought to be able to support anything in the 100ft +/1 class with
no real concerns??

Correct.  And those results have been borne out with the passing of 18 years and countless weather tests and the annual New England “Frost heave” event.

- Pier Pin?
Are we talking about a tapered base section that sits on top of a flat
surface, steel pin protruding for
alignment?

No.  We are talking about a 18” steel pin made by Rohn (called a “Pier Pin”) that is put into the wet cement perpendicular to the base so that it protrudes about 6” from the concrete base.  And then the short Rohn flat base section (with the hole in the middle for the pier pin to stick up through) is laid on the cement base.  You then bolt your first normal 10’ Rohn 45 G section to that short section.

- torque, just double checking, you are talking about the rotational
torque that will come as the result
of slight (or larger) variances in the angle of the guy anchor points on
the ground vs. the position up the tower?

Yes.

Frankly, had not thought much about that. But how is that handled in a
typical installation??

Most people just plant the first tower section directly into the cement base so the cement base and the bottom tower section winds up directly taking all that torque from the guys and the twisting from the wind.  It is asking for trouble.

Given that I am considering doing Rohn 45 @~100ft with a modest top load
of likely only a tribander yagi or similar
and maybe a 2m beam (maybe), so I won't have the wind load some have...

You will have far more wind load than you can imagine and at the worst possible time.  100’ is a tall tower and subject to enormous forces. You WANT to use the flat base and pier pin.

of course looking to the future and
more ambitions is not a bad thing to do either... I am ONLY going to go
for this IF I can get the tower up and down
with one or two people. As of now, that points directly to the "falling
derrick" method. At least that is what I am
considering. Still formulating the full complexity and so the cost, will
have to see IF it saves anything at all vs. some
sort of crank up affair or not. However the base on rock is most likely
to be required, and has held me back for
some time, not knowing much about the success of such things.

I can personally attest to the repeated success of the thin and wide base directly over uneven ledge, under the most extreme conditions.  So can N2NT, K1RX, K3WW, N2TK, DL1IAO, W1NG, N7UN, WX0B, K3NM, W3EA, N1MM and many others who have climbed the tower and performed tower work on it.   :-)

My philosophy has always been simple, put it up once and put it up right.   After 18 years, so far so good.   :-)

73

Bob KQ2M

                           _-_-