[TowerTalk] Tower base over ROCK (shale) experience??

bear bear at bearlabs.com
Fri Oct 13 15:53:26 EDT 2017

On 10/13/2017 3:33 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> A little confusing to me what "solid shale" means.  If it really is
> shale (from what I know as shale in WPA, OH) then a carbide tipped
> drill will make quick work of drilling holes big enough and deep
> enough to hold a grouted or epoxied pin anchor for your guys. Several
> pins could be the sliding prevention anchors for the tower base.
> Then the question is how strong is your "solid shale". Shale is a
> complicated (anisotropic) rock and varies enormously site to site.
>
> This to me sounds that you really need a soils engineer and PE.
Yes, this is exactly what I was speculating upon...

Hiring a soils engineer and PE is beyond the scope of the budget at
present.
They seem to charge by the millisecond, sort of like attorneys and
doctors...

The question is how many holes, how deep and what diameter...

It's simpler and easier to do more than the minimum as far as the
install vs. hiring a PE, i would expect.

Also, in this area a PE approval is not required. Not in the local code.

"Solid shale" as opposed to broken shale or shale filled soils... this
stuff is a step down
from bluestone, which is quarried not far from here... it will break
down once broken up,
and used as something like driveway fill, turning from large chunks back
into granular soil
in about 10 years, but as found in the ground it is stable.

                             _-_-