[TowerTalk] Tri-Ex winch problem

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Oct 14 12:20:54 EDT 2017

The Fulton brakes eventually seize up or worse.  If they can be covered
from the WX all the better.

What you need is a "Klein Grip" to grab the cable and a come-along to
take the tension off the winch.  Then the winch can be replaced, the
cable reattached, and then the tower lowered.  It might be time to
replace the cable, I did that on an LM-354.  Measure the old cable and
go to a wire rope shop and have them swage the end loop on an identical
type replacement cable (don't use wire rope clips IMO).

https://www.zoro.com/klein-tools-haven-grip-frgd-06-25-cable-1604-10/i/G7452103/
is the cheapest but will likely damage a hoist cable

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-KT4500-Parallel-Jaw-Grip/dp/B00508HWLM has
a longer grip length and cable diameter range.  Very useful when working
with guys.

A fellow ham might have one to borrow.

Grant KZ1W