[TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Tri-Ex winch problem

Bob Richards rwrcon at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 14 12:35:31 EDT 2017

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex winch problem
Date: 	Sat, 14 Oct 2017 09:28:01 -0700
From: 	Bob Richards <rwrcon at mindspring.com>
To: 	DAVE WRIGHT <kanives at yahoo.com>

Hi Dave,  I just installed a new Tashjian W-51 crank up tower which came
with 2 Fulton K 1550 winches, one for tip over and the other for
cranking up and down.  I replaced them both.  As I'm sure you've seen
the K 1550 is a single speed with a gear ratio of only about 5:1.  The K
1550 got the tower up and down with considerable effort before
installing the mast, rotator and beams.  It couldn't handle the extra
weight of the mast, etc. once installed.  This included the clutch
binding you're experiencing. Same problem with the tip over once the
mast etc. was installed. Once you resolve getting your tower unstuck I
suggest you consider replacing your K 1550 with a 2 speed racheting
winch.  I installed a Dayton 2 speed which gives me about a 17:1 ratio
for up and down and an older Fulton 2 speed racheting winch gives me
about  a 9:1 ratio.  Once cranked up I lock the cranking handle in case
the ratchet slips.  No clutch binding issues and much easier on the arms.

I you do decide to stick with the K 1550 winches I have 2 virtually new
ones in my garage that are for sale.

Bob  NZ6G