[TowerTalk] rotor @ 200m distance

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Oct 14 13:08:38 EDT 2017

On 10/14/2017 9:44 AM, Filipe Lopes wrote:
> My question is regarding the rotor, what kind of cable or how should one
> rotate the rotor at such distance? I guess the voltage drop is quite high,
> meaning the rotor will turn very very slowly or even not turn at all.

Ohm's Law is your friend, but Yaesu's tech data is not. :) They don't
give you a maximum permitted resistance so you must compute it. I have a
350 ft run on my Yaesu rotator. I had to figure conductor resistance for
their maximum recommended cable length based on its conductor size, then
do Ohm's Law with a wire table to know what wire size to use. One
important piece of information -- study the schematic of whatever
rototor you are using. With the Yaesu, two conductors run the motor, the
other three sense the position of a simple potentiometer that tells
direction. Only the motor pair is sensitive to resistance. I ended up
using #14 "house wire" for the motor pair and #18 for the potentiometer.

73, Jim K9YC