[TowerTalk] More information about my problem; . Re:

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Mon Oct 16 10:23:37 EDT 2017

Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:14:52 +0000
From: David Aslin G3WGN <david at aslinvc.com>
To: "towertalk at contesting.com" <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More information about my problem; .  Re:
Heliax acting strangely: Help?

<I still have a one foot length we removed, hanging on the workshop wall. It's there as a reminder that even professionally and correctly installed outside devices can be the source of trouble over time - and to follow a logical troubleshooting path at all times.  I'm sure a TDR would have got us there faster...
73, David G3WGN  M6O  WJ6O

##  I suspect if a wattmeter was temp inserted at top of tower, you would have been in for a rude awakening.   A   buddy had water in his LDF-4  heliax.   It had gotten in at the top of the rotating tower, where it was  spliced into another piece of
heliax going out along the boom. And both were the flexible version of .5 inch heliax.   He  had previously removed the connector at the bottom of the tower, where it was plugged into the hb remote switch box..and out came a bit  of water.
That entire length was ruined.  Water had gotten in the top, and eventually migrated down the entire length.   Connectors at each end were  7-16 Dins.    I have heard a few water ingress stories here in the past..on tower talk.... with folks using the flexible version of  .5 inch heliax.

Jim  VE7RF