[TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding connection to tower legs

Don W7WLL w7wll at arrl.net
Mon Oct 16 15:15:06 EDT 2017

This conversation comes up at an appropriate time for me. I had just
previously downloaded the Burndy Grounding Catalog, a hundred plus pages of
everything re grounding and even an illustration (P11) of what appears to be
a commerical broadcast station grounding plan. Additionally, there is a
wealth of additional reference info at the end plus a well illustrated
section on exothermic welding.

I know my grounding system is flawed and inadequate and intend to fix this
issue. Although cloud to earth lightning strikes (sheet lightning from time
to time) along the coast at this location is a a very rare occurance I know
it can happen.

Lots of opinions offered but also a lot of good solid experiences of those
who have had to deal with the issue. As to electricians, I have to wonder
how some of the local folks ever passed the tests required to be licensed,
Too many of them 'cut corners' from what I've seen in previously installed
wiring, requiring cleanup when encountered. Doubt many know the current
codes except to the extend that can get an inspector to sign off.

Don W7WLL