[TowerTalk] FW: Tower Grounds

Dick Blumenstein rcblumen at centurylink.net
Mon Oct 16 22:53:05 EDT 2017

Hello Jeff-

Shortly, I am going to be using 2" wide copper strapping on my tower
legs. However, I am NOT attaching them to the tower leg bolts. Instead,
I will be clamping them on each tower leg about a foot up or so from the
base and in a GENTLE ARC, running them down to a ground rod near each
tower leg, attaching them with ground rod copper clamps below the Harger
CAD weld that attaches to the rod at the top where my #2 AWG stranded
goes out to additional ground rods (like a tree branch).  I have read in
the past that silver solder might explode or melt (sorry Matt) from a
lightning strike and might not hold together.  I will, of course, use
stainless shim stock between the copper and the galvanized tower leg to
reduce galvanic corrosion.  Since I haven't done it at this time (soon,
though), it might be a little challenging to get the copper under a
couple of stainless radiator hose type clamps and then to proceed in a
"graceful" arc down to the ground rod.  We'll see how that goes for me;
which is why I selected 2" wide (and not 3" wide) copper strapping.  I
heard that lightning does not like to take sharp turns, hence, the arc
of copper and not bolting to the leg bolt.  Every time I want to lower
my crank up tower horizontally to the ground to work on the antenna
system, I will obviously have to remove the copper from under the
stainless clamps.  A bit of a pain, but so far I have not read of a
better way. At least it will allow me to look at any corrosion that
might have occurred since last time I lowered the tower.

(BTW, a little anecdote. The electrician I used for heavy duty projects
in FL, told me that he used to work at the Kennedy Space Center.  He had
to CAD weld about 2,000 (as I recall) very long ground rods around the
Vertical Assembly Building. Now, that's one heck of a ground rod system!!!)

73,

Dick, K0CAT