[TowerTalk] Grounding of cables to tower?

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 20:52:36 EDT 2017

This is one of those "what problem are you trying to solve" issues - ac
safety, lightning, or RF management?

Towers should have an ac safety connection between the tower and the
station/house ground.  It is permitted by NEC to use coaxial feed line
shields for that.  Bonding over the long distances doesn't hurt anything
and if the conductor is buried, acts as another charge dispersing path
in the soil.  But long conductors aren't much use at RF due to
inductance (at low frequencies) and impedance (at RF).

The 200' figure was taken from MIL-419A which is the military's cutoff
for requiring bonding of the tower and building perimeter ground, IIRC.
You can find other definitions of "too distant for bonding" but 419A
actually specifies a figure.  There are various references here and
there to 60', 100', etc but I was unable to find an authoritative
reference with those figures.

Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable folks here on the reflector can
add something to that.  Jim Lux's post helps clarify things.

73, Ward N0AX