[TowerTalk] Terry's Tiltover

Clay Autery KY5G at montac.com
Wed Oct 25 10:33:55 EDT 2017

Key word: overloaded.

Any tower can fail if it is overloaded.
Any tower may fail if it is forced to perform outside its specified
engineering limits.

72 feet is 12 feet more than my tower and I have no experience with one
that tall.  Deal is... you don't put more on them that the manufacturer
says you can put on them.
Even steel towers require periodic checks and services to remain functional.

For me... at 60 feet (limited to 65' by local regs without a fight),
there is no better solution. Especially since "She who will be obeyed"
dictates that I not climb towers.  :)

I get the "nervous" thing...  I was nervous the first time I saw my
tower coming down with a huge SteppIR, et al. at the top with the
tilt-plate.....  rapidly replaced by amazement at how sturdy it is in
the horizontal position.  I will still support it when down at the 40-50
foot point just to stop it from laterally moving when working at the
top, but it's not required.

Bottom Line: Design your tower with some headroom in the capacity for
the tasks it is required to perform....

Tall heavy stuff is NOT the place to be a cheap b at sterd HAM. <big grin>

73,
Clay