[TowerTalk] 7-16 DIN Males for RG-213/214

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Fri Oct 27 08:27:42 EDT 2017

On 10/26/2017 1:06 PM, Jeff DePolo wrote:
>> With all this talk of water migration, I'm surprised there is no
>> mention of Trilpgy cable. They guarantee it against water migration!
>> They do not have a good superflexible product, however. It's even made
>> in USA.  http://www.trilogycoax.com/ --73, Mike, WV2ZOW
>
> Unless they've come out with something since then, last time we looked at
> using or stocking Trilogy we decided not to as they only made smooth-wall
> aluminum shield cables.  As far as smooth-wall, we had enough headaches with
> Commscope smooth-wall cables that I'm not looking to go back to using
> anything smooth-wall.  And having had problems with PIM and reduced
> longevity with aluminum cables, including a fairly-recent failure that
> required two 550 foot runs of 1-5/8" aluminum-shielded cable to be replaced,
> we avoid aluminum and stick with copper.
>
> By the way, Commscope has put an end to their smooth-wall cable line (FXL
> series), having already discontinued most of the line and/or putting what
> remains on EOL.  Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed on aluminum hardline (both smoothwall & corrugated), we had
nothing but trouble with it.

Just wanted to point out that Commscope's smoothwall line included not
only aluminum variants but all copper examples. In fact that's all I
have underground out to my towers. IMO it's the best underground cable
for direct burial, but I wouldn't use it for anything else, and dragging
it thru conduit would be very tough indeed.

-Steve Maki K8LX