[TowerTalk] getting the ufer ground effect with a burried painted section

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Sep 6 14:13:18 EDT 2017

On 9/6/2017 9:55 AM, Jeff AC0C wrote:
> I hope that I have not voided my ufer ground effect with the application of the paint.  Because here in the Midwest, lightning is definitely going to be a problem faced sooner than tower corrosion.

Hi Jeff,

I can't answer definitively about the paint, but for my painted tower
buried about 4 ft into the poured base, I set three wide ground straps
into the base, bonding each to a tower leg, and bonded to #4running out
to a ground rod about 8 ft from the tower. In retrospect, that's too close.

I'm both and author and reviewer for some chapters of the ARRL Handbook,
and also N0AX's new book on Power, Grounding, and Bonding. While I
didn't write the section on lightning protection at the tower, I did
study what Ron Block of Polyphaser wrote. The published recommendation
is for a series of three or more rods, running radially from each tower
leg, spaced about two rod-lengths, bonded to each power leg. I would get
much closer to the Handbook recommendation if I didn't live in NorCal,
where the frequency of lightning is much lower than most of the rest of NA.

73, Jim K9YC