[TowerTalk] 80m vertical size calculation

StellarCAT rxdesign at ssvecnet.com
Wed Sep 13 10:43:48 EDT 2017

Vytenis,

Sounds like a great antenna!

The formula for changing it is a simple one ... first measure the actual
length as is. Then put it up and measure the point where the reactance, X,
equals 0. That is the resonance point. Now use the ratio of that frequency
to the one you want to have set. That's it.

if the desired frequency is higher than the actual than make the antenna
shorter by that percent ...

new height =  current height ( current frequency / desired frequency )

Assume current height = 21.0 M  ... measure the X = 0 point and it is 3450.
Desired frequency = 3550.

new height = 21.0 ( 3450 / 3550 ) = 20.41M

if the desired frequency is lower than the actual than make the antenna
longer by that percent.

new height = current height ( current frequency / desired frequency ) )

Assume current height = 21.0 M  ... measure the X = 0 point and it is 3650.
Desired frequency = 3550.

new height = 21.0 ( 3650 / 3550 ) = 21.6M

using the lowest SWR point will muddy the water a little bit but it too will
get you in the ball park.

Gary
K9RX