[TowerTalk] rotary tower: 3 phase motor : soft-start/stop controller or frequency regulator?

Richard Riley Richard.Riley at tango.hr
Tue Sep 26 09:50:40 EDT 2017

Hi guys,

After 4 years waiting for our building permit, next week sees the first of 5 towers to go up at 9A1TT.
The first is the smallest at 31m..and will carry 4 owa yagis with 7,6,5 and 4elements on 10 thru 40m.
Tower is 500mm triangular HD.  Base, rotating system and rings are locally made.

We have a 3 phase motor at the bottom with built-in torque limiter.
https://www.bonfiglioli.com/media/filer_public/10/8b/108b44fb-91de-4b14-96a2-1325307b4aef/br_cat_bnex_std_eng_r01_0.pdf
Model: BN80A4.
Control is achieved using 4O3A Rotor Genius.

Question: I'd like to add soft-start and stop capability (which the above box doesn't support for high voltages).
Some say "use a soft start & stop controller"...others "use a frequency regulator".

I'm new to this field ..so wonder, what do you guys recommend?

PS. for those who responded to the "sexy cable management solution" question, I put out a few months back.
Thank you for your input!  The most attractive of all the suggestions I received, was one based on an Igus RBR solution (see http://www.igus.ca/wpck/3820/rotary_motion_applications )...although I haven't seen one in action on a rotary tower, I intend to attempt to build one and if successful will share my experience with you.

rgds

Richard Riley

[http://www.tango.hr/images/tango.png]<http://www.tango.hr>
tango komunikacije d.o.o.
Strojarska cesta 22
10000 - Zagreb - Croatia
office: +385(0)1 5494 301
fax: +385(0)1 5494 315
EU VAT#: HR73112507864

[http://www.tango.hr/images/eu.png] [http://www.tango.hr/images/fondovi.png]  [http://www.tango.hr/images/competitivecroatia.png]
Ulaganje u budu?nost
Europska unija
Investing in your future
European union

Projekt Podizanje konkurentnosti putem uvođenja inovativnih IKT rje?enja u poslovne procese tvrtke tango komunikacije sufinanciran je uz pomoć Europske unije iz Europskog fonda za regionalni razvoj.
A recent project Improving tango's competitiveness by introducing innovative ICT solutions in our business processes, was co-financed by the European Union from the regional development fund.