[TowerTalk] Unitary tower strength

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sat Apr 7 07:21:19 EDT 2018

I believe most crank up masts are bolted to the concrete. US Towers has
embedded square tubingand I am not envisioning an easy way to connect the
two. Probably the easiest and safest way to do this is to drill holes and
epoxy new bolts into your base. If it is just climbing that you hate,
perhaps you can build a fold over winch for the Universal tower as the
base is designed as a hinge and you can reach your antennas near the
ground.

GL,
John KK9A

Don Rasmussen wb8yqj wrote:

Hello All,
Have a 30 foot aluminum tower mounted to a steel base in concrete.
Would like to install a crankup mast in it's place.  Maybe a concrete bolt
at the base of the crankup and use a house mount a few feet up against the
old tower.
If I cut the base tower section in half, wondering if what is left might
be sturdy enough to bolt the crankup mast up against, or if the remaining
base section would be so compromised by cutting it that it wouldbe
worthless to use as a support.  Section could be cut just abovea set of
horizontal cross members.
Would be interested in any comments on this, or ways of convertinga
Universal Tower 4-30 base output lugs into something strong enough to
support the sway from a 30 foot crankup mast.
de Wb8yqj Don