[TowerTalk] Slow/Stuck rotator in one direction

Dana Roode K6NR dana.roode at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 00:41:36 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my email below.  I have resolved the
problem, which, long story short, was the thrust bearing.  The bearing on
the TX-455 has a "Eccentric Locking Collar".  When I got up on the tower
and looked at the bearing it was very dirty.  I loosened the allen screw,
freed the collar with a punch, raised the collar out of the way and tried
the rotator again.  It worked perfectly.  I cleaned it out best I could
with a degreaser, added new grease, and put the collar back down and it all
works fine now.

I was sure how to put the collar back in place; what I read online is that
you use a punch in the direction "the shaft rotates" - which is both ways
in the case of a mast but figured it would be opposite of the way I got it
off.  I wasn't sure how the collar fit downward on the bearing but think I
got it right.  Couldn't hammer the punch like I read since the bearing
turns.  Snugged it up and tightened the allen screw and it seems OK, but
must be a clearer instruction out there for these collars somewhere.

  Dana