[TowerTalk] Fwd: grounding (again)

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 23 15:01:58 EDT 2018

On 4/23/18 11:13 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
> Aluminum flashing is wide (low inductance) and can easily be cut to a
> custom width if required.

The problem with flashing and rectangular bars, of all materials, is
that it's convenient for some kinds of connections (flat bolted), but
not particularly convenient for routing.

 From a "I have to bond this flat plate with a bunch of connectors"
standpoint, I think a standard crimp lug on stranded wire is probably
easiest *if you have the tools*.  Ditto for stacking on a antenna tower
bolt, etc.

If you don't have the right crimping tool, then it's a bit more tough -
so it might be worth finding someone in your area that can do the crimps
for you.  (Welding suppliers? Solar Panel installers? A local
electrician? I don't know..)

The cost difference between aluminum and copper is substantial on a per
pound (or volume) basis, but how many pounds is a typical amateur
installation doing.

Copper AWG2 insulated wire from Home Depot costs $1.22/ft in small
lengths. Aluminum is $0.43/ft.

But, with aluminum, you do have all the corrosion, dissimilar metal
things... If you're running 50 ft, you're looking at a cost difference
of $40.

Another, more subtle aspect is that your friendly local inspector will
be familiar with "wire", not with "strap".  Bolted connections, crimped
lugs, #2 wire is something they see every day.