[TowerTalk] Effects of Oxidation on Copper Antenna Wire

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Tue Apr 24 17:45:52 EDT 2018

On 04/24/18 17:03 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:

> Andrew published some research that shows the PIM (passive intermod)
> differences between braid and solid copper shields for coax.  I couldn't
> find that pdf on the web, but it shows how braid generates more IM
> products than solid Cu tubing.  I think its pretty insignificant for HF
> ham radio.

Mostly true. For HF it's insignificant. For UHF and above it's
insignificant for receive only or simplex. For UHF duplex (repeaters) I
*think* it can be significant. LMR style cables have very poor PIM
performance (like 25 dB worse or more) compared to Heliax/hardline style
cables. I've measured PIM on LMR400 & LMR600 at 700 MHz and above, and
it's horrendous by cell service LTE standards (which is -143 dBc using
two 20 watt carriers).

Kinda surprising given that the *RF* foil shield is solid for all (or
most) practical purposes.

-Steve K8LX