[TowerTalk] Fwd: grounding (again)

Steve Bookout steve at nr4m.com
Wed Apr 25 21:36:32 EDT 2018

Jim,

I feel somewhat 'vindicated' by my setup.   I have several 190 foot
towers for my M/M station.  Each tower is about 450 to 500 feet from the
shack.  Under each I dug 6 - 60 foot trenches in a star pattern, 1 foot
deep and in each trench I installed 4 - 8 foot ground rods, 16 feet
apart, then CAD welded # 2 solid copper between the rods and attached to
the galvanized tower with an interface of stainless steel hardware.

Single point ground on the shack end, with the 12 x 24 inch naval brass
entry panel about 6 inches from the service ground, and, of course attached.

I figured it was better to dissipate the lightning strike as much as I
could at the tower end, then let it 'dissipate' in the shack.  Very few
problems lightning problems here.

73 de Steve, NR4M