[TowerTalk] Effects of Oxidation on Copper Antenna Wire

Michael Tope W4EF at ca.rr.com
Wed Apr 25 23:16:28 EDT 2018

On 4/24/2018 2:43 PM, jimlux wrote:
> On 4/24/18 12:05 PM, Shawn Donley wrote:
>> Some recent posts on grounding reminded me of something I've always
>> wondered about.   How is the radiation efficiency of a copper wire HF
>> antenna affected by oxidation of the copper over time?   Empirical
>> evidence is that any effects are small/negligible, otherwise the
>> dipole you put up last year would not work so well this year.  My
>> limited understanding is that the two oxides of copper, Cuo and Cu2O,
>> are semiconductors.  So after a while, the outside of the wire is
>> covered by something approaching an insulator (relative to clean
>> copper conductivity).  The depth of the oxide, as far as I could
>> research, is on the order of 100 nano-meters.  OK...so the RF current
>> is forced under the oxide and follows the skin depth with frequency
>> relationship.  Not much effect on the current or the "RF resistance"
>> of the wire, if I can be forgiven for using that term.  But what
>> about stranded copper wire?  That's where things might get
>> interesting.  Does the skin effect with clean copper wi
> re
>>    cause the RF to stay on the outside of the overall collection of
>> strands, all of which have good contact with their adjacent strands?
>
> Yes - and even if the strands are insulated from each other (this
> would be like litz wire).  It's the magnetic field that "pushes" the
> current to the outside, and that's there whether it's one solid
> conductor or multiple separate conductors.
>
> When you start to get "semiconductive" layers, it gets more exciting,
> of course.
>

>  If so, what happens when all the individual strands are oxidized and
> not in low resistance contact with their partners?    Anyone know of
> actual measurements of the effects of oxidation or how such a
> measurement would be done?   Short of measuring the Q of a tuned
> circuit built with "clean" and oxidized wire inductors, I'm not sure
> how you could measure the effect and even less sure of how those
> measurements would translate to the original question...effects on the
> radiation efficiency of an antenna.
>

> You'd have to be careful about measuring the Q of a tuned circuit -
> parasitic L and C might have a bigger effect.  About 15-20 years ago,
> there were a bunch of Tesla coilers trying to quantify such effects on
> their systems (if you wind your coil on PVC pipe, which is
> hygroscopic, does the Q change with humidity) - the effects are
> noticeable, but non-trivial to measure.
>

> I'd build a two wire line and short the far end, and measure the
> impedance.  Short rather than open, because I'm thinking coax and
> microwaves, and good shorts are easier than good opens, which radiate
> - for this purpose, probably no difference.
>
> It affects the loss term  in the antenna radiation efficiency -
> probably small (after all people don't go out and try to build Yagis
> out of copper or silver tubing).
>
> Where antenna resistance starts to really get you is when there are
> [...]

Jim, et al:

The individual conductor strands that make up the shielded braid of a
coax cable follow a helical pattern with half the conductors wound CW
and the other half wound CCW around the dielectric. I never really
thought about it before tonight, but there is probably some common ratio
(greater than 1) between the length of a individual conductor and the
length of the cable. If the individual conductors in the braid became
truly insulated from one another, I would expect that the DC resistance
of the braid would increase by a factor somewhat close to the
aforementioned shield conductor strand length to cable length ratio.

73, Mike W4EF..........