[TowerTalk] Adding Expanding Foam inside boom

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Apr 26 16:01:53 EDT 2018

A lot of the common expandable foams (like Great Stuff and others) are
polyurethane-based.  They cure by capturing moisture from the air so
humidity is not a problem.

Dryness most certainly is.  My wife and I built our home using foam
Insulated Concrete Forms (ICFs), which are like styrofoam Leggo blocks
you stack and then fill with rebar and concrete.  We used spray foam to
glue the blocks together before adding the concrete, and on dry days
(i.e., spring time here in the Arizona desert) it took forever to cure.
We ended up carrying spritzer bottles filled with water to spray the
joints after we glued them.  It worked like a charm.  Lots of people
assume that the foam has gone bad when it doesn't cure quickly enough,
but often it's the lack of humidity that's the real issue.

So that's another problem with trying to fill a boom with foam ... the
interior might take a VERY long time to cure, although it might be
possible to mitigate that by flushing the boom with water just prior to
injecting the foam.  The water adhering to the inside of the boom might
be sufficient to effect a cure.

73,
Dave   AB7E