[TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower Permitting Spec's

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Mon Apr 30 18:54:49 EDT 2018

 So, I will add an other penny that come from an actual failure:

I had put up 30' aluminum mast in Brooklyn, NY. It was made of 1 1/4 " aluminum conduit pipes. As I didn't know much about support etc. I supported the mast with two sets of guy wires, one at 15' and one at the top. Everything went OK until one day (night actually), about two years after I erected the mast. We had a storm with a lot of strong wind gusts. I noticed the mast as it was bending in the wind. There were a very distinct sinusoidal curb with the "peaks" between the support points and the nulls of the sinusoidal curve at the bottom the mast, at the middle guy support and the top guy support. The mast was vibrating like a guitar string in between the support point. Needless to say the mast collapsed by breaking half way between the support points.

Later, I put up a new mast, the same size pipes but the middle guy support now higher up. My reasoning was that this would not allow a resonant vibration to develop the same way as the last time. This mast has been up ever since and ridden through several similar storms. I have observed the mast in several of these storms and can conclude that the type of vibration I saw the first time, when the mast failed, never happened again. That mast has been up for over 30 years. (I have replaced the guy wires once due to excessive corrosion of the guy wires.)

It is not only the force on the tower from the wind that counts. It is also resonance build-ups due to wind gusts that we have to worry about. My believe is that a gusty wind can cause a failure at much lower wind speed than what a steady wind would.

My 85' tower in Vermont is only guyed in one place and I am a little worried that it could experienced a similar excitation. Maybe I should add an extra guy support in between the present guy point and the bottom just to make sure.

73 de,

N2JFS - Hans