[TowerTalk] Fiberglass Enclosure

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 12 17:47:04 EDT 2018

I have two Stahlin 16x14x8, one on each tower with 3" and 2" conduit
entry, which work but are too small to get everything inside and still
work on them.  Otherwise they are fine after 6 years. Replacing them
with 20x18x9 also Stahlin via McMaster 7740K181.  Catalog says
"submersible" but received was the standard hinge door model and the pdf
is correct https://www.mcmaster.com/#7740k181/=1e4mwyq

Most fiberglass enclosures will shed glass fibers after a few years in
the sun so it is best to paint them as soon as they weather a bit or
clean off the mold release and paint immediately.

For a really large enclosure I needed at the shack end, the NEMA types
were way too expensive.  So I bought an office supply cabinet with doors
48x48x18 and gave it a couple of coats of paint.  With an added  drip
edge over the doors it is dry, clean, and rust free after 3 years in WWA
rains.  3x 3" conduits into the bottom, 3x 3" conduits into shack in the
back, and 1x 3" conduit into the side.

Grant KZ1W