[TowerTalk] Top loaded tower for 80 and 160m

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Aug 15 20:12:08 EDT 2018

Been there, done that.  For many years I have had a
90 foot vertical with 4 30 foot top loading wires
sloping down at 45 degrees that resonate it around
1830.  Without doing anything special, it will also
resonate somewhere around 3660, but that will be
a hi-Z parallel resonance.  It is straightforward to
feed this resonance using a simple LC ladder
network.  The only thing difficult is that you
need to use high voltage rated components.
You will need a few dozen uH and around 500 pF.
The radials won't be needed on 80 meters, so
you can optimize them for 160 meters.

If you only have a 65 foot vertical, with top

Rick N6RK