[TowerTalk] Rotor loop coax

Mel Whitten mel at melwhitten.com
Thu Aug 23 14:21:31 EDT 2018

I used a very large and very flexible cable from the commercial welding industry to "bond" across my prop pitch rotor.  I never thought about passive intermodulation.
I did this 15+ years ago to help protect rotor from a high impulse (lightning).  I used hose clamp and with anti-oxidant.   Black insulation on welding cable is beginning to crack some but I keep it coated with clear krylon.   I had one impulse from lightning that blew up a camera on the tower and DVR but no rotor damage.  W0DQY (SK) told me about this "protection" which he used for his Yeasu rotors.

Mel, K0PFX
www.melwhitten.com