[TowerTalk] Solid 160 radial plates?

Chick Allen cca3rd at aol.com
Fri Aug 24 10:21:49 EDT 2018

I've been reading a lot of older threads about using ground shields (mesh or solid copper ground radial plates) at the base of an Inverted L for 160.  Several contend that AM broadcast stations use copper shielding at the base feedpoint with radials attached around the perimeter as currents are max there.  Even the length of the radials becomes a question as one thread says the velocity factor of radials on the ground is 0.50 and the at the proper radial length, for on ground/slightly buried radials, is more like 80 feet and not one quarter wavelength.  Buried radials do not need to be resonant so my question centers more on the use of a solid, or mesh, material at the base.  Comments on this practice please?

Chick, NW3Y