[TowerTalk] Fwd: Big Rak and HDX-555

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Sun Aug 26 22:12:55 EDT 2018

On 08/26/18 20:56 PM, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:

> Isn't that "slipping" sort of a mechanical fuse. I was told not to
> drill a hole and put a pin through that mast to avoid slipping as it
> might break to rotor and/or the mast, I have used a exhaust clamp to
> fix the slipping and that seems to work. These clamps corrode after
> some times and I guess I need to replace it when times come. Am I
> doing something wrong here?
If you fixed the slipping, you removed the fuse.

A good general rule is to use a good enough rotator & a good enough mast
(and a good enough tower for that matter) for your intended loading.

Otherwise, go ahead and design a fuse into the system to protect your
undersized rotator, and always wonder where your yagis are pointing.

-Steve K8LX