[TowerTalk] Solid 160 radial plates?

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Aug 28 11:32:34 EDT 2018

One issue that could occur with a copper buss bar, especially if you're
slow at adding radials is that copper corrodes pretty quickly.  It might
be difficult to clean out the black oxidation in the hole to add wires.  I
had a DX Engineering stainless steel plate in Aruba and never saw any
corrosion which made adding temporary wires quite easy.

John KK9A

From:	jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net>
Date:	Tue, 28 Aug 2018 05:29:58 -0700

Indeed. The only hiccup I've encountered with that style of connection is
that they're designed to be inside a service panel or equivalent, and
protected from the elements. They're also designed for fairly large
diameter wire (i.e. 14 AWG or bigger). Most radials I've seen mentioned
are smaller diameter, and I'm not sure the screw/anvil combination would
make good contact with smaller wire. You could probably shove a bunch of
wires in one hole and crank down on the screw, but I'd feel better with
soldering them.