[TowerTalk] drilling chrome-moly mast

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Aug 28 21:31:34 EDT 2018

Yes this is good advice. It is also much easier to push a hand drill using
this method and the bit is less likely to walk off center.  The drill may
try to jam if you increase the size in small increments. I personally
approximately double the size with each cut, for example if I wanted a Ø3/8
hole and was using a hand held drill, I might start with 3/32, than 3/16 and
then 3/8. Because the smaller starting bit has less circumference you need
to run that drill bit significantly faster to maintain the proper surface
feet per minute of cutting or you will break it, which is no fun on the
tower.

John KK9A