[TowerTalk] Solid 160 radial plates?

Kevin Kidd kkbroadcastengineering at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 09:34:52 EDT 2018

Just to clarify...  The product called Silphos is considered to be a
brazing alloy rather than a solder for what ever reason.  Silphos is an
alloy of silver, copper and phosporus and is self fluxing on reasonably
clean copper.  We use the 15% version but there are others and yes it is
pricey but is about half the price as high silver content tin/lead/silver.
About $80/lb for silphos vs $140/lb for 40% silver solder the last time
that I compared.  I purchase silphos in 25lb boxes and sometimes use a
whole box on a project.

I have repaired a lot of broadcast ground systems where tin/lead solder was
used with little or no silver content.  It turns to a gray mush in
literally months if subjected to constantly wet below grade conditions.
Silphos will last as long as the parent material lasts.  I have been told
by old engineers that should know, that 40% silver/tin/lead solder is
required when exposed below grade.  I have never tested that theory myself.

On the other hand, you can also use plain old cheap brass brazing rods or
even a scrap length of clean copper wire to make very nice permanent
connections copper to copper.

Be aware that your typical Mapp (which isn't mapp gas anymore) torch
usually isn't hot enough to properly flow silphos or brass brazing rods in
most situations.  Mapp & oxygen works fine in a decent torch set.

Regards,

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
Lawrenceburg, TN
AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT