[TowerTalk] brakes are unnecessary for rotors!

FERNANDO MUGUERZA VIDEGARAY xe2fl.kf5mn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 13:20:57 EST 2018

The reason for the brakes on rotors,even if you have a 1800/1 ratio of reduction or more holding is because back torque by the mast by the air and  inertia makes the gearing to wore out because they are holding the antenna,in my case on my Yaesu GSDX1000, I am putting an outside shoe solenoid electric brake on the mast,since I am adding more antennas so that the rotor will last more years. Gear backlash play between gears also do some damages,that is why on big parabolic antennas they use two motors
moving in different and contrary  directions to eliminate backlash and also eliminate pointing errors!
  Fernando,XE2FL
Email. xe2fl.kf5mn at gmail.com