[TowerTalk] Rain drops noise on Yagi (dipole)

Charles Farr cefarr at hughes.net
Wed Dec 5 21:37:57 EST 2018

As I recall, from my experiences with RADAR, one of the main reasons for
the installation of a radome was to limit exposure of the antenna from
the rain and snow events, as well as to protect the antenna from damage
by weather events.

I have never observed St. Elmo's fire inside a radome. Of course, being
inside a radome while the RADAR is in operation is not a healthy
environment. Severe weather events, high winds and precipitation can and
do effect the RADAR systems efficiency to some degree, notwithstanding
the frequencies at which RADAR operates. Perhaps the insulation on
wires, or the containment of the driven element in a radome at high
frequencies would have a similar affect.

73, Chuck, W6AJW