[TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Dec 6 23:02:53 EST 2018

On 12/5/2018 3:41 PM, Dick Williams wrote:
> I have seen no mention of the Array Solutions AM4170B analyzer; certainly
> there must be a few of them in use out there.  Anyway, I have owned one for
> years, and it seems to work well for tuning up my 80 M four square array,
> and my two phased 160M verticals.  I have KOA running 50K watts on 850 KHz
> about 7 miles from my QTH, and I haven't seen any issues using the 4170.  I
> DIck, K8ZTT

Like they say, YMMV.  I have a 4170 analyzer and it is completely
overloaded on my 160 meter vertical by a 50 kW station 6 miles away.
I tried to protect it with a BCB reject filter, and it had problems
calibrating out the filter.  I really tried to make it work.
It uses a serial connection that is iffy if used with a dongle converter
on a computer without a native serial port.

Rick N6RK