[TowerTalk] Fwd: guying distance

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Sun Dec 9 11:30:19 EST 2018

Just to throw in my ten cents:

I did a calculation once regarding how far out from the tower you should attach the guy wires. The calculation took into account the springiness of the wires (Yes, a guy wire stretch like a spring when you pull on it.) I found (I don't remember the exact value) that if you attached the guy wire ~130% from the tower you had the smallest movement on the tower due to the spring action of the wire.

If you think about the extremes a guy wire attached 1) very close to the tower; a small stretch gives a large movement, 2) very, very far away from the tower: a small force gives a lot of stretch of all that wire.

Also remember the closer the attachment point is to the tower the more down-force you will put on the tower.

Further thoughts: I use four guy wires at 90 deg angle as that is less critical with the angle between the wires and a somewhat smaller tension on each wire (~10%). I have a square "strong-place" on/in the tower for the attachment of the four guy wires. That gives an easy attachment for the wires and is unloading any "pull-apart" forces on the tower.

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS