[TowerTalk] Heating a Ham IV rotator

Frank Davis invl160 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 20:02:13 EST 2018

I am using a Ham IV at my remote station and turning it using 1216L Rotor card form Remoterig.  I an concerned about turning the antenna in freezing weather because there is no way to tell remotely if the rotor or brake is sticking.   The 1216L card has relays that are wired in parallel with the switches in the rotor control box.  To turn the antenna just enter an Azimuth or click a preset  in the rotor GUI and the relays operate in the correct sequence.

I recall years ago reading about someone  wiring  a small light bulb inside the rotator that would generate heat while the rotor box is on.   Maybe it was the same kind of 24v. bulb used in the control box.    Has anybody heard of this being done and whether or not it might be  effective in generating enough enclosed heat to keep the rotator warm.?

73
Frank VO1HP

Sent from my iPad