[TowerTalk] Alpha Spid rotor experiences

Tony Brock-Fisher barockteer at aol.com
Mon Dec 17 14:30:14 EST 2018

I made this transition recently, after years of T2X headaches. I have
two observations:

1. Some folks (not me) have had issues with the mounting bolts loosening
up. I would recommend either using Loctite or adding locking nuts so
this cannot happen.

2. With my rotor cable run, which was OK for the T2X, I find rotation a
bit slow. First I used a 12V supply; then upgraded to 18V, the max you
can use with the stock controller. It is still slow, and I am thinking
of going with a 24V and relay scheme.

3. The Alfa Spid control box is pretty poor, and has communications
issues with software control. While it is supposed to keep track of the
position by counting pulses, and remember the position during power
cycles, I have had cases where interrupting it in the middle of a
transition causes it to lose track, which can result in winding up the
coax loop. I would recommend going the route that most smart folks do,
which is to delete the Alfa control box and buy a Green Heron.

Other than that I am very pleased with the RAK-1.

-Tony, K1KP