[TowerTalk] Rotator Voltages and Other Issues

Don w7wll at arrl.net
Tue Dec 18 23:13:53 EST 2018

Like most hams using rotators in the past and present, I just ran old
standard rotor cable from places like HRO or other ham outlets  from the
standard control box to the rotator. Didn't think much  about it. Worked
and it seemed problems, if any, were issues other than turning the
little buggers.

Looking at all the discussion about rotators on this site, particularly
the varying and often dissimilar conclusions about their problems, (take
a breath) and with the influx of a lot of new rotors over the last
couple of decades, I wondered if anyone had put together a chart that
detailed, for each rotor, from the lowly CD-44 to the new biggies which
I've never even seen, the operating voltages they best operate, their
upper and lower V limits, current draw (and related to the rotor cable
available at most ham sales sites), what the proper wire size should be
used for each over length? For example, I use T2X's because I have them.
But the rotor cables I purchased 40 years ago I notice have different
wire sizes than the last length I purchased recently (hell of a lot
stiffer too, a problem to consider for crankups when the looping
arrangement is selected vs just dropping the cable on the ground).

I know there is no guiding info in the HyGain manuals, old or new, about
the latter.

My question is further piqued by a friend back east who felt his rotor
(not a T2X)  was 'slow' so ramped the voltage up. Rotator failed shortly
after. Don't know where he went with V and whether the wire sizes were
adequate for the current draw.

A comprehensive rotor chart with little details not given out by the
manufacturers but learned by the users would be a great help I'd think
to new hams and even those with some experience with a few but not all
rotators.

Maybe it already exists?

don W7WLL