[TowerTalk] Planning for the next move...

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Feb 1 22:00:16 EST 2018

On 2/1/2018 8:34 AM, Chuck Chandler wrote:

> Ground/stepladder antenna work

This can be solved as follows:

1.  Crank up tower
2.  Tilt over fixture for tower
3.  NN4ZZ Tilt Plate (these are great)
4.  Sufficient real estate arrangements to
allow the whole tower with the beam on the
tilt plate to lay down flat on the ground.

I have a MonstIR (70 foot elements on a 34
foot boom) on a 106 foot crank up/ tilt over tower.
My feet never leave the ground in terms of
working on this.  Don't even need a step
ladder.  I do need a LOT of clear space around
the tower; that's the real estate part.
Of course, a DB-18 would require a lot less space.

Step ladder comment:  a non-ham buddy of mine
was using a step ladder to go up into his attic
and fell off of it and severely broke his leg.
He's looking at 3 or more months on crutches.
Lots of complications are possible.
In some sense, a ladder is more risky than a tower.

73
Rick N6RK