[TowerTalk] Digging The Hole

Joe Partlow joe.w6jwp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 19:52:37 EST 2018

Thanks to everyone for there comments and concerns. If the hole was bigger
than I need or I still had the mini-excavator i'd go with that but I need
to remove 6-12 inches in places to make it big enough. I've been working on
it most of the day with a helper. It has a large clay component and holds
together so everything is going well. I did find some information on line
that seems to indicate that most collapses involve the top half of the
hole. So for a six foot deep hole I'm only in real danger if I'm kneeling
in the bottom of the hole. Not doing that.

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 3:56 PM, <john at kk9a.com> wrote:

> Jim has probably the best response to your question.
>
> From:   jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net>
> Date:   Sat, 10 Feb 2018 05:52:16 -0800
>
> >From:  Joe Partlow <joe.w6jwp at gmail.com>
> >Date:  Fri, 9 Feb 2018 11:04:44 -0800
> >
> >So I'm in the process of digging the hole for my tower foundation. I've
> dug
> >most of it out with a mini-excavator but now I have to climb down inside
> >finish up the corners and such. the hole will be 4' X 4' x 6' deep. Should
> >I be worried about cave-ins?
>

> It depends. What's your soil like?
> if it collapses, how deep will you be buried?
>
> If you're buried waist deep, you just have to wait til someone comes to dig
> you out (or you can dig yourself out with your hands).
>
> If you're buried with your chest under dirt (i.e. the collapse knocked you
> over, or there's a big pile of dirt next to the hole, so the hole will be
> filled back up), you will likely die before someone can dig you out, even
> if
> they're standing there, shovel in hand, ready to start digging.
>
> I'll readily admit that when I was younger and more ignorant, I climbed
> down
> into plenty of holes. I won't do it now.

- 73 -
- Joe W6JWP